Mold and mildew are not the same no matter what a product’s bottle reads. Mold can be harmless or dangerous depending on the type, while mildew is generally harmless, yet can cause severe allergies in some people. And any way you look at it, mold and mildew removal is a must. I mean come on. Who wants a nasty fuzzy mess all over the shower or along the windowsill? And that smell?

So for the sake of your sanity and everyone’s ewww gross reactions as they make a hasty exit from your bathroom and home, let’s get it cleaned up, shall we?
The first thing you really need to know is when you are dealing with either fungus, you need to wear at the very least a respiratory mask and rubber gloves. Mold can cause severe headaches, coughing, respiratory infections, dizziness, memory loss, hearing loss and joint pain. Mildew can cause allergic reactions including coughing, sneezing, sinus congestion, watery eyes, red eyes, runny nose, skin rash, fatigues and headaches.
Next, make sure you know where the source of the problem is located. You may find that it’s as simple as shower mold, which you can easily remove yourself, or something more serious like a flooded basement mold which may require the help of a professional.
If you’re planning on doing the work yourself, you can purchase a simple over-the-counter black mold removal product that is for surface cleaning only or a product that will penetrate deep down below the surface.
Whatever product you choose, make sure it’s specifically meant for the type of fungus you are removing, otherwise it will just be a waste of money and your time. You may also want to consider using a mold and mildew remover that is eco-friendly.
If you’d prefer an all-natural mold removal solution, you can try using a mixture of white vinegar and water. This solution may be a better alternative for items of delicate nature that are porous, meaning can absorb liquids easily. To use, just spray on the item and wipe away with a clean rag.
Another all-natural solution for mildew is a paste of salt and lemon juice and rubbed into the fungus. This solution can also be used on clothing, but take care not to leave in the sun since lemon is a natural lightener.
If you don’t mind the expense, many people swear by tea tree oil and water to use on mildewing stains. Just add a few drops of the oil to 1 quart of water and spray the solution onto the affected area, then wipe away with a dry rag.
To prevent problems from arising in the future one of the best and usually cheapest solutions is a dehumidifier. Dehumidifiers can help reduce fungi growth from accumulating by removing much of the humidity from the environment.
If you can’t afford a dehumidifier you can also try opening windows when you shower and turning on exhaust fans. Keeping wet towels and other moist items out of a non-ventilated bathroom may also help keep you from having to make another mold and mildew removal date with your home any time soon. Read more at blackmoldremovalguide.com